Friday, March 11, 2011

India....My arguement !

Everytime I crib about some process, system, public service to my friends I am bombarded by "If you don't like it here why don't you go live abroad" or "You are not proud to be an Indian you should have been born in America Instead".

Well I don't agree with these people. And infact I think it is these educated people who themselves by saying all of the above have what we call in India the "Chalta hai attitude"

I pay 35% of my income in tax. Then with what is left i am either paying 12.5-20% VAT or 10.3% service tax or both for anything I buy or use. In effect I am giving away 50% of my hard earned money to the Gutterment (government).
Yet for that 50 % given way I cannot
get good smooth roads to drive on
use the public health facilities
use the public education system
get germ free drinking water in my tap
open a restaurant without 25 permits and bribes
travel through customs 10 times out of 10 without being harassed
the list goes on and on


The sad truth is that in the year 2011 the 21st century, except for Bombay none of the other "metro" cities have 24X7X365 electricity. God help the Indian in smaller towns when his turn will come !
Even in the metros we don't have proper healthcare , schooling, drainage and drinking water !

These are the basics of quality of life.....something many of the western cities got by the 70s itself.
Yet instead of bashing the gutterment for letting us down, hauling them over the coals of the mind-boggling number of scams....2G, commonwealth, swiss banks,etc......what do we do ?
We accept it......fooling ourselves that ohhh....India is a poor country, we are new nation, these things take time, etc.

And diss the guy who moans about it. Asking him to leave or accept it. Well No ! I am not leaving ! And I am going to complain....bec i pay my taxes....and i have a right as a citizen to get something in return ! And I have a right to want my country to improve and for the citizens to get their due and not for the money they contribute to be lost in greed and corruption !

No comments: